Whether you consider yourself a wine lover, an aficionado, or simply a devotee, you need a reliable wine cooler that can hold your prized wines in a stable, protected environment. Simply placing them in a refrigerator will not do. You need a unit that has tighter temperature controls and is capable of displaying your prized wines without allowing them to be damaged by ultraviolet lights. For smaller collections, the Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler may be the perfect solution.
The Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler
The Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler, also known as the DWC93BLSDB, is a unit capable of holding a small to intermediate-sized collection of wines. The Danby company has been producing refrigeration units for over 65 years and is headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company’s experience and American base allow it to offer an outstanding warranty and service area. This unit is capable of meeting your wine cooling needs in many ways; however, it is not perfect. Here are a few of the benefits of the DWC93BLSDB along with some quirks that you may not expect.
The Danby 36 bottle unit is well reviewed by the majority owners and can meet your wine cooling needs in many ways. Some of the top features of this wine cooler are:
- Freestanding: this 3.3 cu. ft. unit only measures 31 ½” x 17 ½” x 18 ¼”. That is similar to the size of a dishwasher, allowing it to fit into any kitchen or recreational area in your home.
- Lightweight: at a scant 74 lbs, the unit can be moved fairly conveniently and you will not need to reinforce your floor to accommodate long-term placement.
- Stylish: the Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler is available in a flat black finish or stainless, so it will match any décor. This unit features a recessed pocket to open, giving it a sleeker look. For added convenience, the door can be hung to open to the left or right and features a smooth back. Both features practically guarantee that you can place this unit anywhere in your home.
- Protects your wine: the tempered glass door will protect your wines from harmful ultraviolet rays, ensuring that your wines will never become ”light struck”.
- LED lighting: by using a blue LED lighting, Danby allows your wines to be beautifully displayed without creating a hot spot from an incandescent bulb. LED lighting is a much more energy-efficient lighting option than incandescent bulbs would be, as well.
- Warranty: Danby offers an 18 month warranty on all parts and labor, with in-home service in many areas. If you purchase the Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler through Amazon it qualifies for the Assurant 360º 3-year Kitchen Appliance Protection Plan for your added peace of mind.
As with most products on the market today, there are a few things about the Danby 36 Bottle that you need to know before buying, so that you can make a well informed purchase.
- Capacity: the majority of owners can only get 35 standard wine bottles in the unit. The company’s website also mentions that this 36-bottle unit only holds 35 bottles. The capacity is further diminished by high-shoulder bottles, large Pinot bottles, and traditional champagne bottles.
- Temperature fluctuations: several reviewers have mentioned that the temperature varies by as much as 6 degrees between the top and bottom shelves of this unit.
- Not for red wines: many wine lovers prefer to keep their red wines at 55 degrees, but this unit tends to stay below that temperature, even on its lowest setting.
The Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler is a solid entry-level wine cooler for small or intermediate-sized collections; especially if price is a consideration. On the other hand, if you are looking for precise temperature control at settings above 50 degrees, you may want to consider another unit. You will need to be prepared to to pay a premium for that precision, though.
Should you decide to purchase this wine cooler, you can do so through any of the Danby dealers across the United States. Danby offers a dealer locator tool on its website. You will receive the company’s standard 18 month warranty on parts and labor as well as the peace of mind of knowing that any service will be done locally. With that being said, you are going to endure a bit of a price mark-up. You will save yourself money by purchasing the DWC93BLSDB through Amazon. In addition to saving money, this unit qualifies for the Assurant 360º 3-year Kitchen Appliance Protection Plan, doubling the length of the warranty offered by Danby.