One of the most difficult challenges facing a wine lover is holding a wine at the proper temperature when preparing to serve it. To some palates, a variation of a single degree can change the taste of a wine, often to its detriment. One solution is to purchase a single bottle wine chiller and warmer. With so many products offered within the niche, it can be difficult to choose the right one.
Here are a few reasons why you may want to add a wine chiller and warmer to your kitchen appliances, followed by a few of the benefits and issues with the Waring Pro Brushed Stainless Steel Wine Chiller and Warmer.
A Chiller… Okay. But Why a Warmer?
Many wines, especially reds, are meant to be consumed at a certain temperature. At the same time, these wines need to be stored at colder temperatures to ensure that they are not damaged during long-term storage. Adding a wine chiller and warmer allows to have more versatility in your drinking habits as well as the ability to achieve precise serving temperatures.
The Waring Pro RPC175WS
The Waring Pro, also known as model number RPC175WS, is a single bottle chiller/warmer that fits nicely onto any counter top. It is compact and nicely finished in a brushed stainless steel that easily fits into the most modern of decors or a more traditional kitchen. The unit features a large variety of temperature pre-sets for easy chilling or warming of your wines.
Waring introduced America to the first blender in 1937 and has been producing reliable kitchen appliances ever since. With over more than 75 years of experience, the company can offer an outstanding warranty without worry.
Benefits of the Waring Pro Brushed Stainless Steel Wine Chiller and Warmer
The Waring Pro offers a plethora of benefits to casual wine drinkers and serious aficionados, alike. Here are several of the key benefits of the RPC175WS.
- Presets: this unit offers 33 preset temperatures. The 33 temperature settings cover a full range of red, white and sparkling wines. No matter your drinking preference, the RPC175WS puts the perfect serving temperature at your fingertips.
- Capacity: this is a single bottle unit, but it will accommodate bottles that are up to 3.5 inches in diameter.
- Viewing window: the lighted viewing window allows your guests to see what wine is about to be served, adding to the anticipation at your party.
- Temperature control: the unit has a dedicated CPU for temperature control.
- Display screen: the backlit display screen shows which preset you have selected, the desired temperature, and what temperature the wine is currently at. The display screen can be toggled between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
- Warranty: Waring offers a limited five year warranty on the motor of this unit.
The Waring Pro sounds like an awesome product, but there are some issues that owners have stated. Here are a few of the most common.
- Works too slowly: many buyers complain that this unit does not ”instantly” reach the desired temperature. That is true, but how long you wait for a wine depends on how you stored that wine. You can not take a wine from room temperature or refrigerator temperature to the right setting quickly. Wines that have been properly stored reach precise drinking temperatures in an acceptable amount of time.
- Noise: the fan on this unit is comparatively loud and the fan runs the entire time the unit is trying to achieve a temperature. The only way to cut down on the noise is to properly store your wines prior to placing them in the unit.
- Open top: many users believe that the unit wastes a lot of energy because of its open top design, where other units feature a form fitting top.
This unit is known as a reliable way to hold a wine at a precise temperature. It is not an instant chilling device. If that is what you are looking for, a bucket of ice is your best alternative as no other unit on the market today will chill your wines any faster. The few people who have had units fail on them, say that customer service from Waring is outstanding and the warranty is great.
Wine chillers/warmers are available over a wide price spectrum and the Waring Pro Brushed Stainless Steel Wine Chiller and Warmer is a mid-range option. You can find it on Amazon for around $65, making this a fairly good value if you find the features are right for you.